River’s Edge Wilderness Camping offers camping sites in an extraordinary wilderness setting close to a World Heritage Area on the banks of the Russell River at Lonnavale in Southern Tasmania.
The Campground was the vision of Trudi and Malcolm Smith and through their hard work and dedication saw the creation of River’s Edge Wilderness Camping, with the campground being officially opened in 2011 with just 14 campsites and a composting toilet.
Today the campground runs nearly 1km along the Russell River and has 67 large private grassy sites, both powered and unpowered. Native tree planting seperate sites from one another, there are full amenities, camp kitchen, bbq facilities, swimming holes and large grassed areas for ball games. Throughout periods in the high season campers enjoy music on stage and food vendors on site and this is why River’s Edge Camping has become a favourite stomping ground for both Tasmanians and those visiting from interstate.
In 2021 the grounds came under new management with Peter and Prue de Vries and their family now welcoming guests and caretaking the grounds, however Trudi and Mal remain involved with new visions for the campground with the continued development of infrastructure for guests to enjoy.
Our commitment is to provide excellent customer service, including:
- making customers feel welcome and comfortable
- always providing helpful and accurate information
- ensuring safety of customers and visitors through appropriate traffic management and other risk management strategies
- doing everything within their powers to assist customers with any special needs
- welcoming feedback and complaints as a positive contribution to continuous improvement
- providing consistently excellent service to all customers and visitors, including across repeat visits
- dealing fairly and consistently with cancellations
River’s Edge Wilderness Camping warmly welcomes overnight campers but encourages you to stay awhile, explore the region, and relax on site where there’s lots of quiet enjoyment to be had.